Saturday 5 March 2011

Marriage, Ministry and Mistakes

If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?

Jo and I watched a great video lecture by Mark Driscoll on Marriage, Ministry and Mistakes (video can be found on you tube by clicking this link).

One of the main things that came up was the question 'where do our priorities lie?'.  Having looked at 1 Timothy 3 it is clear that we should prioritise (1) Jesus, then (2) our Marriage, then (3) our Children and finally (4) our vocation or ministry.  As a bloke in ministry it can be hard to see that 'ministry' can actually be an idol in our lives.  At times it can be and we must be aware of it.  Our main focus should always be on Jesus and then my marriage and family before ministry for "If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?"

If I am a Christian but do not love my wife as I should then I am disqualified for ministry.  If, when I have kids, I neglect them and place ministry as a priority over them I should be held to account and repent as I am idolising ministry.  If I don't place my marriage and family above my ministry how can I minister to others - in effect I am 'disqualified'.
I understand this and whole heartedly believe this but I still have questions that take effect in the practical realm of ministry (as opposed the theological or theoretical realm).  
  • How practically do I show I prioritise my wife when I am away on ministry trips etc?
  • What does it look like?           

No comments:

Post a Comment